It seems crazy that the summer could pass so fast, but already we are waking up to crisp cool mornings and witnessing the slow down in production from the garden. Our month was busy here, not only with the picking, watering, a broken water pump, and attempting to keep up with some of the weeds, but also with a visit from one of our other sisters/daughters from back East and a family reunion!
The last of the corn has now been picked, and we’re lucky if there is any still in the garden shed to be sold at this very moment. Harvesting our practically legendary sweet corn has been quite effective at bringing customers out, and typically, the corn has already sold out by about 10:00 in the morning! Hopefully our visitors won’t stop coming for the absence of corn, as we have plenty of other veggies yet to be sold.
The long awaited tomatoes finally made their debut and are producing quite a bit. If you’re interested in ordering a lot of tomatoes so you can make your own batch of salsa, barbeque sauce, canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, or whatever your heart desires, let us know so we can set some aside for you! We also have some fresh basil, if you’re interested, but you’ll have to let us know as it doesn’t hold well when picked and set out in the garden shed.
From our own kitchen, we’ve made a batch of sweet pickle relish, dill pickles, pesto, marinara, and barbeque sauce. We’ve also been freezing quite a bit of broccoli, onions, peppers, beans, and a tad bit of corn (from the lesser ears of corn that weren’t for sale).
What we currently have in the Garden Shed for sale:
– Yellow Onions (there are not many left; the Walla Walla sweets are gone)
– Zucchini (slowing down quickly!)
– Patty Pan squash
– Slicing cucumbers (you can still order some pickling cucumbers also, but get your order in quick, as they are slowing down quickly!)
– Tomatoes (cherry, heirloom, paste, and slicing. If you’d like to order some canning tomatoes, let us know that as well)
– Spaghetti squash
– Cantaloupe melons (sometimes; we don’t have many this year)
– Green beans
– Peppers (jalepeno, anaheim, and bell)
– Asian eggplant (also slowing down quickly)
– Chard (sometimes; it sells quickly)
– Acorn and Butternut squash
– We may have some other products, depending on our abundance!